The pharmaceutical inspection that was a music conference

In real life, I have retired from my job at a pharmaceutical company. In my dream I am invited back to attend an inspection meeting. In the pharmaceutical industry, the European Medicines Agency and other regulatory bodies execute inspections of pharmaceutical companies to investigate if quality and safety related to the development, manufacturing and marketing of medicines is maintained. Apparently, my former company was to be subjected to such an inspection, and my presence was required.

The meeting takes place on the eighth floor of the company headquarters, and the whole floor is turned into an auditorium consisting of a central stage surrounded by circles of seats. There is also plenty of standing room. The meeting is absolutely packed; I estimate between 100 and 200 people are attending, most of them standing. When I arrive, the representative of the Agency is already at the center of the auditorium, speaking through a microphone. He's asking questions that the attendees have to answer, and for some reason they are eager to do so.

Though I can hear his words I don't understand them, and I am worried that something is wrong with me. Then I discover N. among the attendees, a music friend from when I was much younger. He explains that I am at a popular music seminar, where aspects of contemporary music are being discussed. The moment I realize I am not at a pharmaceutical inspection meeting, I start to understand the words of the speaker. The current subject is 'heavy metal chord progressions', which appears to be one of the hottest topics occupying the minds of today's musicians.

I am disappointed that my pharmaceutical expertise isn't needed, and I leave the conference to descend to the second floor, where I used to work. I notice that the layout of the floor has completely changed from what I remember, and I don't recognize any of the employees working there either. I visit all other floors and the restaurant, but I recognize no-one, and no-one recognizes me. Most employees don't even notice me.

I don't find it peculiar at all that the people who are attending the conference upstairs are simultaneously at work on their respective floors. I am simply too disappointed to notice, and with a heavy heart I return home.

Popular posts from this blog

Brainstorming session

Holiday in Paris

Two cartons of orange juice about to burst